Monday, August 25, 2008

Day 1

WHAT A DAY!!! Whew!


The day started 8/24/08 when I was picked up by SuperShuttle at my house at 7pm. I got to the airport in plenty of time only to find that the flight was overbooked by 14 people! If I had only had flexible travel times, I could have been compensated 2 ROUND TRIP TICKETS! But I turned it down. Too many reservations and I've already waited over a week to pick up my car...


I get an aisle seat (thanks to pre-booking and check-in) and sure enough, every last seat is taken. I sit next to a nice couple from South Africa that don't talk very much (grin). During the 4 hour flight, I probably get 30-45 min of sleep. Normally, I don't have a problem sleeping on a plane - guess I'm just too excited.


The plane arrives at JFK 30 min early (5:45am) so I call the Hampton Jitney (bus line I need to take to Southampton) and see if I can get on a bus earlier than my booked 9:20am bus. I get on the 7:20am bus that should arrive in Southampton by 9:20. Problem is, the dealership opens at 10am but I'd rather wait at the bus terminal in Southampton than JFK. I take a cab to the Cineplex Odeon in Queens (where the bus stop is). The bus is on time and by 9:25am, I'm walking in the Hampton Jitney bus depot. I know the dealer isn't in yet, but I call and leave them a message letting them know I'm early.


While I'm waiting, I look through some of the local newspapers and real estate listings. JEEZE!! Houses are expensive in the Hamptons!!! To get a roof and 2X4 walls, it's like $750,000 (well, not THAT bad but the average price that I saw was over $1.5million. The most expensive was $19million. Back to earth, William


While waiting, I see a nice white MINI pull up outside. It circles a few times and shortly, a gentleman walks up and asks, "Are you William?" It's Jerry Halloran - my MA.


We ride back to the dealership - when we turn into the lot, I'm looking all around for my Clubman, but I don't see it anywhere! We stop, go inside and start going over some paperwork.. .the wait is KILLING ME!


A worker comes up and hands Jerry a "key" and he just keeps looking through some paperwork and we continue to chat. I'm JUST about to ask him, "can I see my Clubman now?" when he stands up and asks me to follow him. We walk out the same door we just came in and THERE IT IS! I love the color more than I thought I would. The driver's door is open, inviting me to get inside. A LEGITIMATE "New Car" Smell!


After what seems like 15 seconds (but was more like 30 min), Jerry wants to go back inside so we can finish the "deal". I sign all the paperwork. He gives me an extra "key" (so nice of him as they are expensive) and I'm off to open the packages I had shipped directly to the dealer:


- detailing supplies (to add extra protection to the paint under the bra I'm going to install)
- a front hood / bumper bra
- headlight protectors
- Sun shades for the windshield and sun roofs (yes, there are two of them!)
- Sticky Pod (more on this later)


I take my time and thanks to Mark (AZMiniMan) demonstration before I left - I knew the installation of the bra was going to be TIGHT, but I got it put on. I take a picture of Edgar with the bra on and Jerry standing next to it.


When I leave the dealership, my first stop is Costco (to pick up some trip supplies). I park the car and by the time I get out, there are 5 people standing next to it! "What it is?" "Do you like it?" "What's the gas mileage" - etc. It's 20 min before I can get inside Costco!


After the shopping is finished, I'm on my way! First stop, Elizabeth NJ. I take this route so to avoid the route that Google chose through downtown Manhattan. Along the way, I see 4 other MINIS (no Clubbies though) and 3 of the 4 give "the wave"! One lady in a Saab pulled up beside me as we were driving and gave me the most enthusiastic wave I've seen. Either she really likes MINIs or probably has one or more at home.


Once in Elizabeth, NJ - I set my Garmin to avoid highways and dial in my first hotel location in North East, MD.


Now, here's where it gets really interesting (in several ways...)


First, Google Maps shows that I'd be driving 229 miles (all non-highway) in order to get to the Hotel. When I parked Edgar outside the hotel, he has 287 miles on him and right at a half a tank of gas left! The on board computer is reporting 41mpg!


So, I'm not sure why my Garmin chose such REMOTE routes, it was the BEST! While on Ridge Rd during a 27 mile stretch, I got my first "fix" of rolling curves in a rural setting. To top it all, the speed limit was 50! It was fantastic. Edgar drives like his wheels are Velcro with glue added for extra measure. While I'm keeping the RPMs under 4,000 and the speed below 70mph - it's VERY clear this car has plenty of power....


I'm going to attach a few of the picts now and will put up a complete album shortly... Please pardon the lack of organization - I'm tired and have to wake up at 5am to get started tomorrow.


Oh yea, the Weirdness of today - Seen at McDonalds at JFK... "Mickey D Sweet Tea" Being a born and breed Southerner, is nothing sacred? LOL









3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMGoodness Willie... it's gorgeous!!! Drive safely, but as soon as you can PUNCH IT and FLOOR IT!! LOL

Val

Unknown said...

Nice car William , Bar looks little tight on Edgar. :)

William said...

Yep, the bra is VERY tight. Supposed to be that way so it doesn't flap around and cause damage to the paint! I had to take it off today, though - Tropical Storm Fay made her appearance!