Sunday, August 31, 2008

Day 7 - Almost home

Day 7 starts out with me going outside and finding out just how many bugs we ran into last night! There were several times it felt like we were being shot at with paint balls! I mean BIG bugs! I'd hate to have been riding a motorcycle! I check out of the hotel and take Edgar down to the only DIY car wash in Tucumcari. Don't worry, no bushes were used, just a soaking spray followed by a power wash. Still not as clean as I'd like, but I can see through the windshield.

Just before getting on I-40 again, it's time to fuel up. I search via my GPS to find a Shell or Texaco, but there are none. I do find a Phillips 66. Whats interesting is that 90 octane is the highest that ANY service station sells in Tucumcari!

While on I-40 heading towards Arizona, I spot a Lightning Blue MINI Coupe on a car carrier heading west... There's a few pics in my Flickr account, if it's your MINI, drop me a line!


Instead of staying on the interstate the whole way, I had decided to turn left off I-40 and go through Ramah (NM) and the Zuni Nation Reservation. Along the way, I pass a place called Ice Cave (NM). I'd like to find out more about this place and maybe visit in the future.

There were also a couple of National Monuments / Parks that I'd like to stop by and spend some time again in the future: El Malpais National Park and the El Morro National Monument. I have pictures of the rock formations (from the road) in my Flickr account. Very nice scenery!

While in New Mexico, I crossed the Continental Divide. I faintly remember this from school.. Here's a link - http://www.answers.com/topic/basin-new-png-1. Seems like it's described as the "Backbone of our Continent"?

Just before entering Zuni-Land, Edgar finally got his wish and got muddy! See weirdness below for a description.

While on the Zuni Reservation, they were having a County Fair. I didn't have time to stop but I would have liked to. They were racing horses when I drove by. Kind of like drag racing, but with horses and BAREBACK! The "drag strip" was total mud. I'm sure it would have been interesting to watch.

I cross into Arizona and the first town I enter is Witch Well, AZ. There's SO MANY small towns with unusual names in Arizona. This is one I didn't even know about!.

As I head for Show Low (AZ), there's some incredible cloud formations on the horizon. I take several pictures and briefly think about pulling over and waiting for the sunset. Problem is, sunset is over 3 hours away so I head on into Show Low.

When I get into Show Low, the temperature is 60 degrees - nice and cool especially with it having just rained. I check into the Sleep Inn, mosey (Southern for "walk") over to a Mexican steak house and have a nice ribeye.

Tomorrow, I have a 3 hour drive down US60 through Superior / Miami into Arizona - all familiar territory.


Towns/Cities travelled through: Tucumcari (NM), Santa Rosa (NM), Milagro (NM), Clines Corners (NM), Moriarty (NM), Edgewood (NM), Albuquerque (NM), El Rito (NM), Mesita (NM), Acoma (NM), San Rafel (NM), Ramah (NM), Zuni Nation / Reservation, Witch Well (AZ) - even I didn't know this place existed!, St Johns (AZ), Concho (AZ), Show Low (AZ)



Cool Things:


Throughout New Mexico, there's signs everywhere on the road "Report a Drunk Driver - dial #DUI" I think this is a great idea. I wonder how long it takes for a trouper to respond?




Weirdness of the Day:


Dirt Road Detour! - I was about 30 miles into my way-point to the Zuni Reservation when the road was was "closed/under construction" - they had a gravel/mud route to take... Edgar FINALLY got his shoes muddy (he's been wanting to run through mud puddles since we left NY and finally got his wish!) I took it slow and was SO GLAD I didn't have the bra on the front end.


Moriarty/Estancia (NM) - hosts an annual "Punkin' Chunkin' Festival" I grew up with a guy nicknamed Punkin - wonder if he'd be offended? :)

No comments: