Saturday, August 30, 2008

Day 6 - Interstate, Interstate and more Interstate

I didn't sleep much last night - the light from the hotel parking lot keep me thinking it was morning - even when it was 3am...

I was up around 7am, headed to Waffle House (yea, I know - again!) I sat at the counter, ordered and listened to the people seated around me.

Now, before I go any further, let me tell all of you that don't know me that I'm born/raised in North Carolina. My Southern accent is sometimes still noticeable. That said, I realized while sitting in the Waffle House just how different some of the Southern accent extremes can be!

For example - have you ever heard a person say the word "cat" and it's two syllables! "Cay-att" Some other words I recognized but thought that some of my friends might need interpreted:

orta =should - "I orta stop by the post office"
reckon = think - "I reckon I should leave now."
aftrwile = later - "John, I'll see ya aftrwile"
ficken = getting ready to - said by the waitress at a diner she obviously knew that didn't leave a tip, "I'm ficken to hit you ifn you don't come back heer" (Bonus words ifn, heer)
mitenigh = almost / close - He threw a rock and it mighnigh hit me!

I could go own, but I didn't dare write any of this down while in the Waffle House. That's all I can remember at the moment.

I fill Edgar up and head on our way. Today's interstate route will take us through Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas and finally New Mexico.

Besides MILES and MILES of interstate - there were a few moments worth mentioning:

About 20 miles before we got to Oklahoma City, I saw a Red/White MINI coupe ahead of me - travelling fast, I might add. It took me a while, but I caught up to her - pulled up beside and gave a "wave." The driver gave me a BIG smile and wave back. We travelled into OK City together. If you think one MINI attracts attention on the highway - you should see the responses when two are close together. The kids love it. I can just imagine how people react when a club goes on a trip and there's 20-30 in a row...

Just before you get to Clinton, OK - they have some HUGE wind generators like those that are used in Palm Springs. Was really cool seeing them - there should be MORE!

It rained ALOT today - several times and almost continuously through Texas. Once, I almost pulled over to the side of the road, it was raining so hard.

Oh, and the most INTERESTING site today - just past Sayre (OK) - I saw a ramp car carrier with 4 RedBull MINIs on it! RedBull has taken the MINI and modified it where the back of the car has a RedBull can on it. Here's a pic of what they look like: http://www.murmini.com/files/redbull.jpg I tried to get my camera ready and take a picture, but they were travelling in the opposite direction on I-40.

Almost time to go to bed now. Tomorrow, I drive to Albuquerque and then to Show Low (AZ) via the reservation.

Places travelled through: Mayflower (AR), Conway (AR), Morrilton (AR), Russellville (AR), Alma (AR), Dyer (AR), Sallisaw (OK), Checotah (OK), Lake Eufaula (OK), Okemah (OK), Oklahoma City (OK), Clinton (OK), Altus (OK), Sayre (OK), Gray County (TX), Groom (TX), Amarillo (TX), Tucumcari (NM)

Weirdness of the Day:
Just past Conway (AR) - saw a sign for "Toad Suck Park". This was an OFFICIAL state sign mind you.

Arkansas Vanity License Plate: "MIZZOUI"

Nondescript city before Morrilton (AR): Sign on the side of the road "Hosale Melons, This Exit" Someone HAD written WHOsale, but crossed the "W" out!

ARKANSAS I-40: is the UNDISPUTED RoadKill Capital of the UNIVERSE! I don't know what the critters are that are splattered almost every 100 yards but the road is littered with them! I did see a few armadillos "legs up" here and there. Poor fellas

Welcoming Sign for Alma, AR: "Spinach Capital of the World!"

Motorcycle rider with loose shirt: I'm guessing he'll have an unusual sunburn tomorrow? Picture is uploaded for those of you that are curious

Bumper Sticker outside of Okemah, OK: "On my way to work, please kill me!" hmmmmm






No comments: