Thursday, August 28, 2008

Day 4 - a Time Machine

Got up early this morning and headed with my parents to Bojangles (Chicken / Biscuits place that's really good). After finishing, Mom/Dad lead in their car towards Kings Mountain. After saying good-bye, I headed into the Kings Mountain State Park. I spent alot of time in this area when we lived in Grover, NC. Grover Rescue and Grover Fire Department provided services for both the state and National park while I was a member.

The drive through the parks was nice and relaxing, but the curves just "called" to accelerate! Trouble is, I know from the past that the Kings Mountain National Park always has Park Rangers around - so, I behave.

When I get to Grover, it's not much different than when I last saw it. There's new fire trucks and new ambulance equipment. I've heard they now have some paid paramedics as well. Good for them! I drive by our old house by the lake as well and take a few pictures.

It's now time to head toward Ashville. I drive through Earl (NC) and when I get just shy of entering Shelby, I near an intersection that "feels familiar". Once I get my bearings, I think I'm near the place where my Mom/Dad first moved after I was born. The road was dirt when we lived there (remind me sometime to tell you of the time that I ran away from home...) but is now paved. There's trailers, errr excuse me, mobile homes all around but there's still 3 small white houses... Feels familiar at a cellular level - I was 3-4 when we moved from here. I take some pictures so I can ask Mom/Dad later if one of these 3 houses are where we lived.

I start heading toward Ashville again, only yet again to "feel" a familiar turn/intersection. Keep in mind, all of the roads now have different names. What was once 100% farms and undisturbed land/forests is now 80% houses and commercial area... I take the turn and a few miles down the road, I almost instinctively turn left. After driving a mile or so, I wind up in front of the house that my Mom/Dad built and I spent the longest part of my life in! My Grandfather McIntyre made all of the cabinets in this house out of oak. There was a really nice antique mantle inside as well. I remember my white cat "Puff" (ask me sometime about the time I tried to cut a fur-ball from his stomach....)

So, I "found" my way back to the first home I can remember specifics about.... I want to take some pictures but there's PEOPLE standing outside and I don't want to frighten them - lest they might call the police! I drive by a couple of times and they are now paying attention to me/Edgar. I get up the nerve to drive down the 1/2 circle driveway and get out. I ask a young lady if I can take a picture of their house - she's understandably cautious. She asks why I'm interested and I begin to tell her that my parents built this house and I grew up in it. I'm not sure she's convinced I'm telling the truth, so I start to recollect the names of the neighbors - I'm shocked to find out that they ALL still live in the same houses!

In short, this family (a Grandmother, mom and daughters) bought our house after we moved to Waxhaw, NC and have been living there ever since! We talk further and I find that I went to Crest High School with their Mom as well! Such a small world!

The house right next to ours/theirs belonged to Dan and Glenda O'Shields. I remember Dan and Glenda almost like my 2nd parents. I got my first job working for Dan in his jewelry store. While I was discussing these facts with my new friends, one of them says, "There's Dan in his back yard now!"

I walked over, asking Dan if he recognized me - after over 30 years, I'm not surprised he didn't. But he certainly remembered when I told him my name. He said Glenda was inside - we went in and she DID recognize me (no hair, scruffy face and all!)

We chatted for a long while and I realized that I'd left Edgar parked in the driveway of the house next door! I got Dan/Glenda's email (will be sending them info on this blog) and headed on my way. After saying my goodbyes, it's time for the road again.

Whew... I just realized how late it is now... I'm sitting on a couch in the lobby of the Fontana Village Resort in Fontana Dam, NC... I'm sure you all are tired as well from this post already! :)

Here's some quick information about Deal's Gap, NC and the "Tail of the Dragon" - http://www.tailofthedragon.com/) This is where MINIs from all over the US meet once a year for "MINIs on the Dragon" http://www.minisonthedragon.info/ Since MOTD 2008 was held in May, I figured I might not get Edgar back this way soon, so why not take a drive thru it...

I'll cut this short and will come back and edit more tomorrow... but for now, here are the cities I passed through today - all in North Carolina:

Shelby, Forest City, Spindale, Earl, Boiling Springs, Ruth, Rutherford, Lake Lure (started to RAIN here and needed to take the bra off Edgar and this is where he reached 1000 miles!), Bat Cave (yes...), Chimney Rock Village, Fairview, Ashville, Alexandar, Canton, Sylva, Stecoah and am now in Fontana Dam, NC.

Goodness for the Day:
I ate lunch at a Mexican Restaurant in Lake Lure today called El Sureno. Now, understanding that I've lived in Phoenix for over 22 years, I know my way around good Mexican food. Well, El Sureno not only has FANTASTIC freshly made chips (hot to the touch) and salsa, their carnitas were VERY good as well. To top it all off, the have honest to goodness sweet tea to drink! Talk about cultural fusion! I almost laughed when I saw they also offer a "pork chop dinner" on the menu as well. In Phoenix, they just serve the "Gringo burger"

Wave from Ford 150 - Was driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway for a short distance. Two gentlemen were riding on my left for a while. When they came next to me, I got a "thumbs up" and a wave...

Edgar made a friend at Ingles - I parked at Ingles grocery to go inside to use the facilities. When I returned, there was a 2006 Red/White MINI with Texas plates parked next to him! I wonder if they could understand each other with their accents! :) There's pics of this on the Flickr link.

Weirdness for the Day:

Bat Cave (NC) - when leaving the town, there's a sign "Leaving Bat Cave, NC - Come BAT Soon!"

Lower Flatt Creek Rd - Was CLOSED for some reason (lots of heavy equipment at the entrance so I'm not sure if there was a rock slide or ???) Had to take a BIG detour to get to Fontana Dam.

Just outside of Ashville - I saw a big sign outside of a restaurant, "Under the Same Management" I had to read it 3 times to make sure it said what I thought!

Time for bed - have a LONG trip tomorrow to Little Rock, AR!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are having fun

mini dragons are cool looking

Gene

Unknown said...

Nice pictures.

Hope you will have fun at "Tail of the Dragon"